It’s something that is all around us but is often taken for granted. It has the ability to power our houses, cars, computers, phones, and many other devices we come in contact with on a daily basis. However, we often forget how dangerous electricity can be. According to e-Hazard’s high voltage training course, almost 8000 electrical contact accidents occur in the U.S. each year, and one worker dies each day from electrical contact.
In the workplace it’s important to practice and implement strict safety rules when it comes to electricity.
- Make sure inspections are done frequently and properly.
- Properly label all switches and fuses to prevent confusion when trying to turn off the power to a machine about to undergo maintenance.
- Never overload circuits or outlets and never use extension cords as long-term wiring solutions.
- Check quality of cords in high traffic areas to make sure no damage or exposed wiring has occurred.
- Properly train your employees for detailed electrical safety if they work with high voltage equipment.
Electricity isn’t just a safety issue in the workplace; it’s also a safety issue in homes across the country. U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 47,820 reported home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction in 2007-2011. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation, more than 30,000 non-fatal, shock accidents occur each year, and oftentimes it occurs when a kid tampers with a wall-outlet.
Some safety tips for household electrical safety include:
- If you have kids, always tamper-proof your electrical outlets.
- Don’t use old and worn down extension cords or electrical equipment; the cost of eliminating potential dangers is much less than the potential loss of life or valuables.
- Never overload outlets. If you need more plug-ins, consider paying the extra money to add separate outlets in your house.
- Don’t ever try to fix your electrical issues unless you are qualified; hire a professional if needed.
- Never leave potential fire-hazards, such as portable heaters, hair dryers, kitchen appliances, unattended.
Paying the extra money on electrical training for your employees and spending the extra money on outlet covers or new wiring for your home use is well worth it. Never leave anything to chance; contact a certified electrician today.
Thank you for your time and attention. Let’s make it safe this Monday.
Demand Generation Specialist, Lift’n Buddy, a Southworth Company