Monday, April 1, 2013

How Do I Report Unsafe Working Conditions?

Today, on Make-It-Safe Monday, we will be covering how to report an unsafe work environment. It is always in your company’s best interest to heed any warning when it comes to workers safety. Fixing a problem before someone gets hurt has the potential to save the company millions of dollars in medical bills and lawsuits.

First, it is recommended that you tell your company. Often companies are too large or your job is too specialized that employers are unaware of safety issues in the work place.  Reporting unsafe conditions gives your company a chance to address safety concerns and fix any issues. In this instance you could avoid having to take unnecessary steps to escalate the situation.

If your employer does not resolve your safety concerns, you do have other options. The Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is a government body with the sole purpose of creating a safer work environment.  There are multiple ways you can contact OSHA, each of which is listed below. For situations where an employee is in an imminent danger while on the job, OSHA will conduct an investigation within 24 hours of receiving a report. All other health and safety related issues will be handled within 3 days to couple of months, depending on the severity of the situation. If an investigation finds that conditions are deemed safe, an employee can expect a written notification within 15 days.

Do not be afraid to contact OSHA in the event of unsafe working conditions. National whistle-blower laws make it illegal for an employer to intimidate, harass, or fire you based on reports you have filed. It is highly recommended that you report any of these abusive situations to OSHA or potentially take legal action.

Ways to contact OSHA and their Links:
OSHA Area Office Telephone Numbers or 1-800-321-OSHA(6742)

Thank you for your time and attention. Let's make it safe this Monday.

Brad Lindemann
Sales Coordinator, Lift'n Buddy, A Southworth Company.


  1. thanks for the informative post on How Do I Report Unsafe Working Conditions?